Saturday, November 18, 2006

Vista Better Than Expected!


I've now had the final release of Vista Ultimate installed for about a week now. I like it. Never thought I'd say that, but it's true. It's the only operating system I'm running and all my games and programs work! I had to do some scrounging on the internet (guru3d.com is great) to find all the little secrets, but I'm now happier than when I was running XP. I only have one thing left that I'm waiting for and there is no doubt it will come soon. I have a GeForce 7900GT and NVIDIA hasn't released drivers with a control panel yet. Rumors are that we'll have them by this coming week.

Ok my biggest Vista suggestion is to load absolutely every high resource program such as a newer game or Photoshop in Administrator. You do this by simply right clicking on the program you want to run and choose Run as Administrator. If that doesn't get it working for you then run it in XP Compatability mode. You do this by right click-Properties-Compatability. If XP mode doesn't get it to load for you then use Windows 98 mode. It's a small hassle, but it works and it remembers the mode you set it at for the next time you load. I haven't had anything not work at all.

You can wait to upgrade, there's no hurry, but I like new things and get bored easily, so I had to go with the final release. I'm running an AMD 64 3000+ with 2GBs of DDR and Vista runs great. It's very slick and I love the extra features. With XP I would always revert to the Classic Start Menu, but I love the new Vista menu. It's compact and it's a very intelligent design. No more boxes popping out to the side, they all open in the same menu window. You'll get the hang of it in about 10 minutes. The new games are better and the Chess game is absolutely great!

Only some of your current programs need extra attention to run, others will load no problem. As the software makers continue making more Vista compatable software it will obviously get easier, but for now I can deal with the extra click to make Company of Heroes, Call of Duty 2, and Photoshop run without a hitch, because right now there are much more pros than cons.

Most of the problems I've heard about Vista is from lower end systems. I would recommend at least 1GB of ram if you are thinking about switching and if you are a heavy gamer you will want 2GBs. From what I've been reading the overwhelming opinion right now is that the ATI drivers are working better than the NVIDIA Beta drivers, but in their defense they haven't released a final driver for Vista yet. Get on the ball NVIDIA! If you have the rig to do it, then upgrade! If your PC seems even a little sluggish on XP, then don't even attempt it. Me? I'm happy.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have to say that I totally agree with this post I have a 3gig intel processor and 1GB of DDR ram and Vista runs smoother than XP. My programs open quicker anfter some tweaking I burn a lot of dvds and that process is actually faster on Vista. I have to say when Vista was in the beta stages AKA Longhorn and Beta1 and 2 I was not pleased. The final release is the best OS microsoft has turned out yet.